Sunday, August 2, 2009

Response to: Connecting race, Identity and schooling Readings

When reading these articles it really struck me and i felt a sense of empowerment from the  African-American people and there lifes and how they learned to read and write.  One of the articles that struck was the Gates "Race as the trope of the world."  I was astonished at how accomplished Gates was as a person.  He received his bachelors from Yale and went to continue school in Cambridge for a masters.  And now teaches Humanities in Harvard.

And I also was struck at the circumstances in which fredrick Douglas got to learn to read and write as a Slave.  In Gates article its goal is to show that Black people can read and write just like any other race or identity.  And I believe that is true and I am in full support of his article, however I believe its not the incapability of reading and writing for the black community or the white people putting them down.  I believe its more of the work ethic of the people and the challenges they face as a community.  

These articles show different circumstances of different people and the circumstances in which people try to learn to read and write.  And the importance of literacy in there life, I believe that literacy is really important for everyone and every person.  literary is an important part of these peoples life and I believe it should be an important part of ours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment