Sunday, August 2, 2009

Reaction to "Politics of Race and Identity" Readings

My favorite article of all these readings for this section was the Lee "Beyond the Model-Minority Stereotype."  I believe that this article really addresses a lot of the pressure and problems that we put on the Asian Americans as being the Model Minority.  

I remember in an article I read a while ago it shows that Asian American girls have the highest rate of suicide and they have the pressures of being a Women and a Model Minority.  I dont think we should put this pressure on them because its not fair and right to them.  Like this article states there are a lot of people who are under achievers who are Asian.

I think that its okay to say that there is a high rate of success academically within the Asian Community, however its not right to expect all of them to be great in academia.  Or to look up to all of them expecting them to be great in Math or go to the top school.  This article address a lot of the stereotypes that go on about Asians in the  UC Berkeley community.  We expect all of them to be great at school but the truth is all of them are not and we should not have that stereotype on them because it hurts the underachievers.  

And not only with the Asian American community do we stereo-type but I feel like we stereotype about all kinds of people.  And have certain exceptions of them like in the Bragg "Exerts from all over but the shouting" article put pressure on white people expecting all of them  to come from a rich family. But its not true as stated in the article of Bragg because he came from a poor family in Alabama.  

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I agree with you. I also think that there should be more awareness in UCB about confronting stereotypes and pressures of Asian Americans. I can only imagine how much stress and pressure this stereotype brings to the Asian community. Although a part of me wants to say that its a good thing that many people see the Asian community as the successful, I also feel that its unjust to apply that perspective to every Asian American citizen. Lee brought up a good point that each Asian student grows up in a different context and thus applying one single stereotype to ALL Asian students would be faulty.

    ReplyDelete