Saturday, July 25, 2009

Reflection on "Gutierrez, Brumer, Pearson" Reading

These readings cover a lot of controversial and up to date topics that are an area of concern for a lot of people at this day and age.  In Gutierriez article "English for the Children" it spoke mostly about the negative Long Term Effects that proposition 227 can have on english learners. The long term effects are what can hurt us not the short term effects.   This is an ongoing concern and a major change in our educational system of teaching English learners.   

I agreed with Brumer article and I believe that when it comes to the english language. It must be read and written correctly.  Because  a lot of students and people from the inner city have trouble adapting when they leave and go to school because they are so use to speaking and reading in a way they grew up.  I believe the educational system needs to push the correct way of reading and writing and speaking in a correct english manner.  

I know a lot of people from the inner city that can not read or speak when it comes to correct english or in a professional manner.  That is why the school system is very important and needs to be pushed on speaking and reading correctly.  I like this article a lot and i think it pertains to a lot of people and can be applied in our educational system.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree the Brumer's a really practical, hands-on kind of article. Do you think the "whole language" approach better serves youth in many inner city settings, or is the phonics approach better suited? Or is this a false dichotomy? And where's the radical middle? Many questions, no easy answers for sure...

    ReplyDelete